Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lala is back!!!

So, I know I need to get it together and keep up with this blog. So far I have no readers. Well, I guess I need to post it on my facebook or tell somebody about it in order for anyone to read it. I got this idea from my friend Julie's sister, Kim. Her blogs about her three kids were making me laugh really hard and started me thinking about the funny and sometimes scary things that Ava does. Plus, this will be a good place for her family and friends to check in on her from time to time!

In reading my last blog, I found was complaining about the Bugaboo. Since then we have gotten rid of that nightmare and gotten a Maclaren. You can not imagine my relief. I'm not getting carpal tunnel...no I'm not. Strollers will always be a pain in the ass, but the Maclaren has proved to be the lesser of the evils.

Ava is going through some kind of stage (I hope it's a stage). She simply does NOT listen to anything I say unless I threaten her with a time out. It's so embarassing. I hear myself threatening a two year old with an elmo stool in the corner and I want to slap myself in the face. Isn't this WHY I spent thousands of dollars to have a degree in education? It just goes to show you that nannying is COMPLETELY different than teaching.

Speaking of nannies...it's hard for some of us to receive respect in this city. Now, I'm not speaking of the actual family that I work for. They are as always, the BEST. Here's the deal: I'm at YAI with Ava yesterday waiting for her to finish her therapy appointment and I'm frantically reading my assignment for my class that evening when a mom comes in with her son. She sees me "studying" (as she called it) and looked at me like I was crazy. This is how we conversed from there:

Her: "Are you STUUUDYING?!!!"

Me: "Just reading, I'm in grad school for non-profit management."

Her: "Are you nuts? You're a mom AND getting your masters?"

Me: "Oh, I'm Ava's nanny." (I know what's coming so I cringe...)

Her: (Relieved, but shocked) "Oh, you're a NAAAANNY! Then of course you have time to go to school."

I just looked like her like she was clearly an idiot. Now, I'm not saying that being a mom and going to school would not be difficult, but does this mean that being a nanny makes it easy to get a master's degree?? Is this lady so deluded that she doesn't see the "good" nannies in this city pushing Bugaboos full of toys and kids and groceries? Isn't that what she does as a stay at home mom? It's hard. I sweat buckets everyday, peel glue off my arm hair, finish half eaten chicken nuggets, wipe snot off my clothes, and chase after a two year old at the park. AND YES, lady...i go to school. Phew...I needed to get that out there.

Anyways...this is supposed to be about Ava, so Let me get back on track.

Ava is speaking in full on sentences that make me laugh really hard. The other day, I woke her from nap and she started jabbering on and on about this sheep that she wants me to get down off of a shelf. Now, her mother and I have told her time after time that she can not play with the particular sheep. (It's more decorative and meaningful than a regular toy.) I again tell her no and explain that she has a million other animals to play with. To this she says: "You get a ladder and get it down Lala." Ummmm...I don't even know how she knows what a ladder is.

She has also started a preschool alternative program that she goes to two mornings a week. I leave her there, which is something that I thought she'd have more trouble with. Instead, she basically pointed me to the door the first day and told me she would see me later. It also comes as no surprise to me that she apparently is an angel in her class. Hmmm...I want to show her teachers a video or something of her throwing an absolute fit when Liz won't let her watch Dora. They can't BELIEVE she would ever have a tantrum.

From here I could go on about my disgust with Dora the freaking Explorer, but we'll save that for another day!

Read more!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hello LuLuBelle Well it looks like I am the first to join your blog. I must say you are very descriptive in your everyday activities and I will enjoy reading more about the adventures of Ava and LaLa. Love you chicken and can't wait to see you! CC

    ReplyDelete